Sunday, April 18, 2010

My Journey Thus Far (pour yourself a drink and make a bathroom stop)! ;)

Hello, hello!!!! And thank you for stopping by my blog! This is a new venture....not blogging, per se, I've blogged about my family for years...but writing about crafting, and motherhood...about MY journey through motherhood, and how I hope to spend more time with my kiddos through my crafting....really, I do! But first, I need to tell you a little bit about my journey thus far.

Before I was a mother, I was, well, Liz. A friend, a wife, a daughter, a teacher, a singer, an artist, and a passionate worker employed in the non-profits arts insdustry. I was busy, busy, busy, and at times it seemed I lived and breathed my work. Then came that positive pregnancy test, and my world literally flip-flopped, upside down. Instead of writing, researching, recruiting, and recording, I'd close the door to my little 10x10 window-less office, and talk to my on-line pregnancy support group (wow those things are amazing! I made friends who are still near and dear to my heart, today...another subject all together ;). I'd sit for hours looking up pregnancy symptoms, reading about my baby's development thus far, and scan over thousands of baby names. I know my fellow mom friends can relate...one day you are all consumed with your job, social life, weekend plans, and your dear husband, and then the idea of that sweet, pink, shiny new baby takes over, and causes everything else to become hazy and fade into the background (poor husband :).

Although I had kind of *ahem* put my job responsibilities on the back burner (so ashamed to admit that), I still planned to KEEP my job after said baby was born. At the time my income was almost half of OUR income, and we didn't see anyway around me planning to return to work after a brief maternity leave. We did budget so that I could cut my hours down to 30 per week, figuring on working three (looooong) 10 hour days (with lots of breaks for pumping throughout those 10 hours). It seemed to be the ideal situation! Baby boy would stay at our home with my mother one day, Daddy would stay home with him another day, and he would go to my in-laws house one day....perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!! And, it would have been perfect, except those crazy maternal instincts kicked in. Oh.my.goodness.
Nothing, not even the excruciating pain due to labor and delivery, prepared me for the stress and anxiety of leaving my infant baby all day. I cried and cried the first day I returned to work. I holed myself in my office with pictures of my sweet baby boy placed prominently on my desk, and attempted to work. I worked through tears. I felt crazy! What was wrong with me? I'd sat in this office a thousand times before, why could I not do it any more???? Post-partum? Maybe a little, but those ties to my baby were strong, my friends, and still are....

There is more to the story, and I will tell it........really, really soon!!! ;)

Blessings!

Liz

2 comments:

  1. This will be great, Liz...I just know it. And it is eerie to me to read your words and know that I had almost exactly the same experiences that you did when I was pregnant with words. I knew we were on the same page, but seeing it in writing, well, I could have written almost all of it myself! Love you, and can't wait to hear the rest of your story! XOXO P.S. this is posting from Anna, but it's me, Mom. Anna must have been on her google account before she left today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK that first comment was a little weird...I wasn't pregnant with words, but with you. I think a whole line was deleted for some reason.

    ReplyDelete