Sunday, April 18, 2010

And...Part II

So, 30 hours a week wasn't gonna fly.....I had an infant who was up every two hours, was delving in the world of co-sleeping (again, we'll save that for another post ;), went through major surgery with a three month old, and was barely, just barely holding it together. I'm pretty sure nothing could have truly prepared me for the changes that I experienced after childbirth--physically, mentally, and emotionally. But, God is good, and God had a plan. He always has a plan. My sweet husband was offered a job that was closer to our hometown, and we decided to do something I swore I never would.....move back! *gasp* Once again, it's amazing what you will do for your child! Moving meant being closer to grandparents...which was awesome in a plethora of ways.

I came back to our hometown for the afternoon one sunny day in April--I think I attended a Bible Study my mom was teaching--and on a total whim made an appointment with an old family friend who happened to be the director of a large education and science museum in the neighboring city. The museum was a non-profit, and since we would be moving back I thought maybe sometime, far down the road, if an opening ever popped up there, I might have an "in". I got the grand tour, and loved what I saw. Last but not least, we stepped into the complex's art gallery. A space that was used for both educational and commercial purposes. They were in the middle of an installation and I held my breath as I observed the gleaming wood floors, white walls, gorgeously abstract canvases scattered strategically about the room. Natural light flooded from the almost floor to ceiling windows. Amazing. Really and truly beautiful.

After the tour, we said our goodbye's in the director's office. She assured me that she'd let me know of any job openings that might come up in the future. And then, she paused, as she glanced at something on her desk. "You know," she said, "our art curator did just give us her resignation, but we're only going to fill the position with a part-time staff person." I held my breath, as she continued. "The position is for 25 hours a week....(insert salary figure)...and we need to fill it soon, like in the next two weeks." Our move date was right in-line with the start date of the new position. It seemed too good to be true! "I want to apply!" I said, probably too emphatically. I had already given her my resume, and she was excited! "Of course," she said, "I'll need to check your references". I assured her that I would speak with my current boss the next day...(gulp).

This was one instance of a door blatantly opening in front of me, so much so, that I don't think I could have missed it if I tried!

To be continued......

No comments:

Post a Comment