Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A Crafty and Frugal Idea!

I saw these adorable banners on etsy this winter, they were made on balsa wood squares, and hand-painted.  On etsy, they were going for around $30 per banner.  I decided to try my hand at one.  Okay, so it's not on balsa wood, and it may not be *quite* as cool as the ones on etsy, but....it works!  I used heavy cardstock with a "sheen" cut in half, and acrylic paint.  just added the ribbon, and voila...a banner ready to hang!  I may attempt it on balsa wood this summer...just wanted to try it first and see how it looked!  Mine cost approximately $4 to make!

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I love the banner you created. It's so cute! I've been wanting to create a unique "happy birthday" banner that we could use year after year and this may be the perfect solution. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie--it was sooo easy! I got the card stock at Archiver's (do you have those in the south ;). It has a luminescent sheen to it, so it looks a little better than reg. card stock. I'll let you know about the balsa wood! :) Share yours, please!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, so cool. I like that you saw something you wanted and went ahead and crafted it. There are things I see on etsy that I know I could never make. Then there are those things that I think, "I could do that." This is a great project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Holly Renee..I do the same thing all the time...in fact, my husband gets tired of hearing about all of my ideas and projects at times! Ha! You all are inspiring me to try more on the balsa wood!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love them!!

    You did a great job. And I think you could sell your on Etsy!

    Found you via theblogfrog

    ~Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel, you're so sweet! I'll try it on the wood and see how it works! ;) Thanks for stopping by--just looked at your blog, and love it!

    ReplyDelete