Friday, June 11, 2010

A Couple of 'Etsy' Tips from a Novice...take 'em, or leave 'em! ;)

So, I've only been selling on etsy for a few months now, and while I'm not one of those amazing sellers that has thousands of sales under their belt, and 25+ orders to ship every day, I am gaining knowledge little by little, and have figured a few things out over the last couple of months!  Just thought I'd share, since I know a lot of us Mamas would love to be able to put our creative talents from the good Lord to use, and craft for a "living"! ;)
Here are a few things I've learned:
1. TAGGING your items...

Etsy gives each seller the option to use 14 tags per item.  At first, I would tag an item with maybe three or four words, i.e. "hair bow", "hair clip", "child", "pink", etc., etc.
Then, I read on the forums a tip from one of those "great" sellers, that you must take advantage of every one of those 14 options to tag.  Why?  Because each tag that you include gives you more exposure, and more chances for buyers to come across your item using search words.  More exposure = more sales!

2. PHOTOGRAPHS

Okay, this could get a little tricky, as it's time consuming, and does require equipment that could be expensive.  But, spend some time searching the etsy categories for items similar to yours, and you'll notice right away which ones you automatically gravitate towards...the ones with the gorgeous "thumbnail" photographs.  This is your one shot to stand out, and be noticed among many like items!  So, take the time to take a great photo with a great background.  Spend time editing each photo--I use http://www.picnik.com/ it's totally free, and is great for "fixing" photographs.  I have just recently started spending time on my photographs and have definitely noticed more traffic to my shop and views to my items!

3. POUNCE

This is so much fun!  I could spend hours pouncing!  You have the option to look at shops that are "undiscovered" and have not yet had a sale, as well as shops who just recently sold something.  Find the link, here. I spend a great deal of time looking at various sellers and their items, and this has really helped me make my shop better!

4. VISIT THE FORUMS

I had never heard of the CPSIA Act until I visited the forums.  A wealth of knowledge can be found here, as well as info. from artists who are selling, and even a place to offer and receive critiques.  What a great way to meet other etsians and to gain exposure!  Find the link to the forums here.

5. CREATE A TREASURY

First of all, this is sooo much fun!  I could spend hours creating treasuries!  All you need to do is think of a "theme" of sorts, and browsing items.  For instance, if you wanted to curate a treasury based on sepia tones, you could enter the key word "sepia" in the search box, and see what you find!  Mark the items you love as favorites (and <3 the shop too, if you'd like :), and add each URL to your treasury.  Be sure to convo each seller to let them know that you included their item.  This is also a great way to gain exposure, and to promote other artists!  The love will come back, and one day your item will be included in a treasury, too!  Your treasury could even be selected by etsy admins. to be featured on the front page!!!!!!!  Talk about exposure!  Find the link to treasury east, here.

6.  FACEBOOK IS YOUR FRIEND

Use those free social networking services, like FB and Twitter (I just set up a twitter account and have yet to tweet my first tweet, but I know it works wonders for others!).  This is a great way to gain exposure and let friends and fans know what you're up to!

7.  BLOG ABOUT IT!

If you're reading this, chances are, you already do it!  Again, it's free, and it's a great way to have a chance to talk about ideas, the process, and the final product!  I, for one, love to read about what all you crafty ladies are up to...you're an inspiration to me!!!!  (Thank you for that, by the way!) xoxo


Well, there you have it.  A few tips from this very new to etsy, novice, (might we say "obsessed" ;) etsy seller, and lover of her glue gun!  You already know how I feel about ribbon, so I won't even go there!  Hopefully as I learn more of the ins and outs, I'll be able to share even more fun tricks of the trade! ;)

xoxo and may the Lord bless each and every one of you and your creative endeavours!

Liz

3 comments:

  1. Awesome tips Liz, thanks so much for sharing! I'm totally going to create a treasury right now.

    Brandi @ Tweedle Dee Designs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips Liz! I just opened my Etsy shop last week, now I'm working on building my inventory. I"ve not heard of Pounce or Treasury yet. I'll have to check it out. Thanks again.
    Blessings,
    Debbie
    http://debbiesaenz.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete